Weetacon

Forums for Weetacon
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Charity Raffle
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Weetacon attendees are some of the very best and most generous people in the world. I am honored and blessed to call you all my friends. Our yearly gathering is one of the best things in my life and it is a shining bright spot in an otherwise gloomy winter. I would like to think that our weekend-long group hug has a positive impact on your lives as well. I'm thrilled that we're collectively sharing our warmth and community with people in need. Over the last two years, Weetacon's charity raffle has raised almost $1600 for Paul's Pantry (last year alone, we raised $1142!).

Paul's Pantry collects and distributes food (dented cans, bruised produce, leftovers from restaurants, day old baked goods) to low income families in the Green Bay area. The Pantry is in desperate need of cash donations to fuel its vehicles, pay the electric bill (it's expensive to run all of those refrigerators) and buy supplemental food staples.

I know that the economy has sucked balls for everyone, but happily every member of our tribe has been able to keep their families fed during the recession. That is unfortunately not the case for the working poor, who are the biggest victims of the economic downturn. While we may need to make decisions not to buy a new iPod this year, there are people in this country, in our cities, who have to decide between buying milk or medicine for their kids and gas money to get to work. When, say, a computer programmer takes a second job as a barrista at Starbucks to help make ends meet, the unfortunate reality is that someone with less experience or fewer skills has one less job available to them.

Again I'm urging you to donate items for the charity raffle. We will be having lots of incentive!

A trophy will go to the person who donated the item that earns the most tickets. Another trophy will go to the person who buys the most tickets.
Additionally, there will be a special raffle item of priceless value (TBD), and you will get one ticket for every 20 tickets caught by your donated item. For instance, last year Susan G's quilt earned her 147 tickets, so she would have gotten 7 tickets for the donation raffle.

What can you donate? Anything! In previous years, attendees have donated gift baskets, gift cards, services, and handmade items like jewelry, scarves, a quilt and the like. This might also be a good opportunity to REGIFT something that you received over the holidays but think someone might appreciate more.

The goal for Weetacon VI's raffle is to sell 1200 raffle tickets, but wouldn't it be amazing to hit 1500 or 2000? Can we do it? I think we can do anything we set our minds to, but I'm excited to find out!

Also, for tax reasons, we encourage you to write checks directly to Paul's Pantry for your raffle tickets. Happily, there's no inflation on raffle tickets: they're still just a dollar each!

Post subject: Re: Charity Raffle
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Given that we'll be having a few incentives for awesome raffle item donations, I thought I'd give you all an idea of what has been popular in the past. The top five items donated by attendees, ranked in order of popularity were:

1. Susan's handmade quilt
2. Jake's $50 Amazon gift card
3. Kelly's Canadiana gift basket
4. Poppy's Chicagoland Eats basket
5. Melinda's hand-knitted scarf and fingerless gloves set

It should be noted that we only tracked the ticket totals for attendees (meaning if you donated something but weren't there to earn points, we didn't count the tickets earned by the item) For instance, I'm fairly certain that if we had counted the number of tickets earned by Mare's Jai Kudo sunglasses, at least one of them would have made this list, although it might have taken a dream date with a Jonas brother to outseat Susan's handmade quilt out of first place. It earned a MOUNTAIN of raffle tickets.

Also, if you're scoping out the Raffle Items list, please note that I am not eligible to earn points, and I don't bother counting how many tickets my donations earn, so you don't have to strategize to compete against my donations.

Post subject: Re: Charity Raffle
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:24 am 
Site Admin

FYI: I'm adding an asterisk to all charity raffle items that are eligible for popularity prizes (the "20 And Up" drawing as well as Weetacon King/Queen).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]