Weetacon

Forums for Weetacon
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Saturday lunch
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hey there,

Like last year, lunch on Saturday will be on your own or in small groups. We have three lunch groups going out this year:

Sarah and Dave will lead the healthy contingent to The Urban Frog. It's just a short walk across the bridge to the up-and-coming Broadway District. The Urban Frog is known for its smoothies, wrap sandwiches and glorious vegetarian options (they serve meat too).

Wendy MC, Chris MC and Kevin will be leading the trek to High Maintenance Hamburgers. This annual tradition has become part of Weetacon since its very first year. For the newbies: it's about a 20 mile drive to a tiny country bar that serves God's own hamburgers. Healthy? Hell no, but absolutely delicious. Carpooling will be required and since the bar cannot accommodate large groups, you'll need to split into small groups to order, but you can all sit together in the back room.

Wendy Bix will lead a hearty group of broasted chicken enthusiasts to Van Abel's. Attendees of Weetacon VI may remember dining here on farmer fare in the family style, all-you-can-eat banquet before we headed to laser tag. For the non-Wisconsinites, "broasted" chicken is a combination of frying and pressure cooking, and it creates the juiciest chicken imaginable. I have had Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc chicken and I can tell you that this is actually pretty damn close in deliciousness. But the chicken isn't even the reason we go: the homemade sides and fresh-from-the-dairy pitchers of milk are worth the drive alone and then there's the bars. Oh yes, the bars.

And of course, you're welcome to pipe up in this thread if you want to venture out into the wilds of Green Bay. Does Titletown root beer call your name? Are you hankering for sushi or raw vegan fare? Let us know in this thread and we can make recommendations or maybe ask to join you!

Post subject: Re: Saturday lunch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:07 pm 

weetabix wrote:
Wendy MC, Chris MC and Kevin will be leading the trek to High Maintenance Hamburgers. This annual tradition has become part of Weetacon since its very first year. For the newbies: it's about a 20 mile drive to a tiny country bar that serves God's own hamburgers. Healthy? Hell no, but absolutely delicious. Carpooling will be required and since the bar cannot accommodate large groups, you'll need to split into small groups to order, but you can all sit together in the back room.

A couple of things...

While Google Maps "satellite view" still shows it as County Road X (and this is how I memorized it years ago), there was a bit of a struggle reaching the bar last year because the county changed the signs.

The signs now say County DK and County A, as you see here.

So, even though your GPS system might still refer to it as County Road X, you'll want to "prepare to turn right... on... County Road A. *ding*."

Just remember: it's just past Dyckesville (not nearly as fun as it sounds) and if you've started to turn east away from Green Bay (the lake, not the city) you've gone too far.

Also, the bar tends to be packed on the weekends. No guarantee we'll get the back room, or even be able to group tables together. So far we've been pretty lucky in managing to stay (loosely) together. But be prepared to break up into groups of 4-6 if necessary.

Lastly, the hell I'm waiting around for anybody this year. I'll be in the lobby at the appointed time to give last minute directions/collect passengers as required, and then I'm off. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:10 pm 

The Google images say 2008, but I swear there was a sign for Cty X until last year. (Maybe the signs switched from "A" and "X" to "A" and "DK". I dunno.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

Actually, I think it's the opposite, Kevin. It used to be Cty A but now it's Cty X. I think those are old Google Street Views.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:20 pm 

Entirely possible I misremembered everything, and I memorized the "A" sign and got fooled by the new "X" signs last year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

As for timing, as long as everyone is ready to leave at 11 am, you'll get there well before the rush and it shouldn't be too terrible to find a table. Once it's close to noon, though, they're basically busy and packed solid until 1:30-2pm, so the wait is much longer. Also, I always forget to mention this, but their tortes are delicious. Everyone's always too full to get them but they make the best banana cream torte ever. It's fake whipped topping, you know, because even though this is dairyland, real whipped cream would be putting on airs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:17 am 

I'm so conflicted!

High Maintenance Hamburgers... oh, the deliciousness!

On the other hand... Bars!

Perhaps I will send Joe to one and I'll go to the other and we will bring doggie bags of goodness back with us.

Hmm.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:07 pm 

Before I read the first post I was all "Hell yeah! High Maintenance Burgers! Nothing will sway me from your deliciousness." Then I saw Van Abel's.

After much soul searching, including wailing and gnashing of teeth, I have decided to go with the chicken. And the bars.